Friday, August 3, 2007

Day 38 Napolean to Sandusky

Day 38 Napolean to Sandusky

Essence - The easy grace of spinnig like a windmill

5:40 a.m. and I wake up late. Everyone seems to have woken up late. Apparently we collectively forgot to reest our alarms from ysetredays 5:30 wakeup. Ooops.

The morning air feels good. Not quite scurrying, but certainly moving briskly we are packed up and the morning is underway.

Stephen and I ask each other to ride together and I really appreciate the simple gesture of just asking someone to share their company. Heading out we are at an easy roll and come across some great buildings and some more of the giant windmills.





The windmills are just so huge and yet as we get right up to them, they are silent and their movements seems very gentle.

Ben and Sean are wearing the McGowan Institute Jerseys for Brack and Jean- Anne to continue their legacy across across the country.

We cross a bridge and I notice the WPA stamp in it. Not a huge monument, but they always catch my attention.



In Bowlling Green, Steve and I are hungry and stop at an ATM and then Breakfast at the corner Grill. We saw the gril with bikes out front on our way in. And then a local asks us about our ride and recommends the Corner Grill.


So the Corner grill it is. We sit at the lunch counter. I can’t remermber the laast time I sat at the lunch counter in a diner. It reminds me of breakfast with my Granddad as a kid. He always ate at the local cafe/truckstop and that seemed like the only place I ever saw lunch counters.



Anyway Breakfast is great and we talk with Jerry and Marlene who own the pizza place across the street. Before we know it we are engaged in great conversation about the history of Bowling Green, Ohio (not Kentucky) and so forth. Jerry and Marlene also pick up our checks and are just some of the really great and sincere folks we have met on the trip. Steve and I would love to chat, but we know wehave to be rolling after 45 minutes of chatting.



Lifted by the rest, food and company, Steve and I ride off, sorry that we had to leave Jerry and Marlene but just smiling and talking about it all the way out of town. Water stop comes and we stay only long enough to fill our water bottles and be back at it. Not much of a visit for Cathy, however we are so glad to have spent the breaktime at the grill and not along the side of the road.

Now the day is warming up and i am warming up. Cruising along we are trying to make up some time and hold a pace to get to Sandusky early enough for Steve to have his bike worked on. I suggest a 20+MPH pace for the next 10 miles into our midday checkpoint. The terrain is flat, the road is good and we can move. I hold 20 mph, then 21 mph then 23, mph and then am holding 25mph. I am zomming, but it is too fast! I am missing the world go by. I have skipped 3 pics I wanted to take and finally shut it down to catch this smoke stack.

This is what I think of when I think of Ohio.



Rollin’ on we back the speed back down so Steve and I don’t miss the world go by. 17mph feels like a crawl but we see so much more. We go through the town of Former U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes and see his old house. all the homes are flying flags and it feels very patriotic.

During the afternoon, Steve and i concoct a plan to go to the Cleveland Indians baseball game tomorrow midway through our ride. The rest of the ride is boring and we re-enter urban traffic as we hit Sandusky.

Steve has time to go and see about his bike and David Lambert talks me into joining him at Cedar Point Amusement park in the evening for Roller coasters.

It is another good day, enjoying our surroundings, meeting the people and not being captive of outside stressors.


Don’t forget to comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andy,
I'm glad to see that things are looking up for you and that you're enjoying the ride more.
I've been keeping up with what's going on with the Big Ride primarily through your blog- you have some of the best posts :-) What I didn't expect was to be inspired!
Thanks for reminding me to stop and smell the roses and to remember that God's always in control of all that happens to us.

God Bless!

Lucy from Dakota , MN