Monday, August 27, 2007

Day 40 Day off in Burton

Day 40 Day off in Burton, OH

Essence - Leisure

After a bit of a sleep in at the county fairgrounds, laundry is the priority of the day. That is after breakfast of course. With computer and laundry bag over my shoulder I am ready for the whole day. Stephen and I head to breakfast in the town square.

While my expectations of Burton were extremely low it reaaly turns out to be a super cute and quaint little township. I remembered talking with my mom when she was prepping hte maps to follow our trip and discusisng the fact that Burton didn't show up on the AAA maps. So like I say with that thought in mind I wasn't expecting much, however it may be the best rest day of the trip.

Stephen and I had breakfast at Belle's Grille.
In this part of Ohio that actually have natural pure maple syrup which is a great treat on our pancakes. Runnier that regular maple syrup it just tastes different. Mmmmm.

From there I head to the laundromat where I catch up with Liz and bust out the computers to start our blogging. What makes this significant to me is the amish girls reaction to our computers. She is doing the ironing at the cleaners and starts to come into to the laundry to do this or that. However as soon as she glances over and sees Liz's computer, the amish girl does and about face and heads back into her ironing room. Her reaction was so blatant it just made me wonder what they must say behind closed doors about our computer aided/internet infiltrated modern society.

To be polite we put the computers away and 4 of us played Euchre instead. In the end I don't know which was more devilish in the amish girls eyes, either out computers or playing cards.

In the laundry, this horse for sale sign makes me laugh. Read it carefully. Exactly what makes a horse "Bomb-proof."

Once the laundry was done, we moved over to the local library to get our blogging done. I ultimately can't connect to the internet which is frustrating so I write off line until lunch.

See how cute the town is?

The Kids and I head back to Belle's for lunch where helyn joins us. Lunch is great and then we get the fresh berry pie, that is just to die for.



Still carrying my laundry we head to the cafe, where I do get some blogging done and the kids go inside and take naps on the sofas. The sitting outside on the streetside table, I look around and see what could easily be a Norman Rockwell scene.



A few more hands of euchre and the afternoon wears on late.



Lambert and I finally head back to camp and just catch some practice carriage racing on the track.


We decide go sit in the empty grandstands and watch the practice racing and chat about the brilliance of life. We stay deep past evening's dusk and into the darkness. Finally it is time that we head to be and get ready to ride. We start our final long week of riding tomorrow.

No comments: